This seems to be the latest "triumph" in the National Organization of Women (NOW) and, generally, all feminists' on going campaign to have an appreciative nod given to the distaff side anytime any subject is mentioned . It seems that the ladies were not content with having bastardized the English language to the point of forcing almost everyone (not me) to use grammatically incorrect constructions [to wit: "Everyone (singular) must pay their (plural) taxes"] in order to avoid using "his" and in the name of political correctness gone wild. You may also have noted that they seem to have arranged for the actors in virtually every health oriented TV commercial currently airing to refer their doctors as "she". OK, I get it---there are lots of lady doctors. Please stop beating that horse!!
Now to the money. In the discussion of contenders to be the female face on the new ten dollar bill, names like abolitionist Harriet Tubman, feminist Betty Friedan, and civil rights icon Rosa Parks have been mentioned. But, there is still a problem because the plan seems to be that whomever the woman selected turns out to be, she will still have to share the space with Alexander Hamilton, the current honoree. That could work I suppose, but I, for one, would insist that, since women only make 77 cents for every dollar a man makes, any dual portrait solution should, symbolically and in protest, give the lady 77% of the allocated space while Hamilton occupies the remaining 23%. This plan would, in my view, appeal even to Hamilton who, in addition to co-authoring the Federalist Papers, essentially invented our system of money and banking and would, therefore, appreciate the "fair percentage" approach.
Some have even suggested that the $10 bill is wrong piece of currency to consider. They say we should, instead, kick Andrew Jackson off the $20 bill because, aside from winning the Battle of New Orleans and being President, he displaced the Cherokees from Georgia and was a slave holder. That's a strong argument, but remember, this is a man who took his walking stick to a would-be assassin beating him to within an inch of his life and then, on his death bed, remarked that the two biggest regrets of his life were that he didn't hang John C. Calhoun and he didn't shoot Henry Clay. How can we relegate a guy like that to the trash heap of history?
Besides, I have a better solution than any of these and it will not involve changing either the $10 bill or the $20 bill. Both Andy Jackson and Al Hamilton can remain in their current places of honor. I suggest an entirely new bill and a new departure! To wit: my nominee to be the first woman since Martha Washington to grace US Currency with her image is Caitlyn Jenner outfitted in a Red, White and Blue Bustier. This scheme would surely have the support of NOW as well as a multitude of minorities and the self-perceived down trodden of years past. For example, in addition to the no talent except for an oversized posterior crowd represented by Kim Kardashian, the plan would, no doubt, be lauded by her husband and all round pain in the neck, Kanye West as he snatches yet another award from some singer in order to give it to Beyonce'. And let's not forget the gays, the lesbians, the transgenders, transvestites, the transsexuals and the "trans-fill-in-the-blank-with-whatever-name-is-in-vogue this week". Additionally, and as the "piece de resistance", my plan calls for the new bill to be created in the amount of $3.00. This, in itself, would give a whole new meaning to the old saw, "Queer as a three dollar bill."